If you have the saucy chops to turn up the heat and sexual tension in three thousand words or less, then enter today!
Passionate Ink’s 1st Annual
Give us their first meeting: their first kiss, or even their first time… We want to see your prowess at developing sexual tension in a scene of 3000 words or less. This contest is for published and unpublished authors. Published works must have a copyright year of 2015. Any works previously published must be significantly altered and published with a new copyright year of 2015. The excerpt submitted must be from a completed work of any length, (i.e., a short story, novella, or novel).
- Contest Opens: October 15th 2015
- Entry Deadline: December 15th 2015
- Category Semi-Finalists announced: February 14, 2016
- Category Finalists announced: March 17, 2016
- Saucy Scribbler announced: April 17, 2016
FIVE SIZZLING FINALISTS IN FIVE CATEGORIES
- Contemporary – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in a contemporary setting. Includes series and single-title length romances. Can also include elements of romantic suspense/intrigue.
- Historical – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in a historical setting.
- Futuristic/Sci-fi – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in any setting in the future, an alternate world/reality, or another planet. Includes elements such as elves/faerie, sword & sorcery, aliens, etc.
- Paranormal/Fantasy – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in any setting that includes elements of time travel, angels, vampires, werewolves or other paranormal themes.
- Suspense / Thriller / Mystery – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in any setting that includes elements of suspense, mystery, or thriller elements.
Judging and Prizes
- First round judging: Will be judged by readers, writers, reviewers, booksellers and librarians. The top three excerpts, or semi-finalists, in each category as determined by judging scores will move on to the final round of judging. The semi-finalists will receive a semi-finalist certificate and digital badge.
- Final round judging: The three semi-finalists in each category will be judged by multi-published authors, agents, and editors. A finalist will be chosen based on the score sheets. The decisions of the judges are final. All finalists will receive a critique from the judge as well as a finalist certificate and digital badge. Each category finalist will also receive a $25.00 cash prize.
- Special Guest Judge: The five winning entries will be passed on to our Special Guest Judge and one will be chosen as their personal favorite and receive the title of “Saucy Scribbler” along with a digital graphic.
Winners Announcements: All Sexy Scribbles Semi-Finalists, Finalists, and Saucy Scribblers will be listed on the Passionate Ink blog and newsletter. The Finalists and Saucy Scribbler will be listed in the Romance Writers Report. See the rubric judges will use to score submissions.
We are pleased to announce the following agents and publishing houses have agreed to participate as Finalist Judges:
Bookends Literary Agency
Totally Entwined Group
RULES FOR ENTRY
- Contest is open to all works published or unpublished in the erotic romance sub-genre.
- Entries may be published with a copyright date in 2015 or an unpublished work.
- It is the author’s responsibility to enter in the correct category. All clarifications as to category should be made prior to submission. Entries submitted in the wrong category, as determined by two or more judges, will be disqualified without refund. The judges’ decision is final.
- One entry cannot be entered in multiple categories, but multiple works (up to three per category) are welcome if accompanied by the proper completed entry form and full entry fee.
- There must be a minimum of ten entries or the category will be canceled. If the minimum number of entries is not attained, entrants will be notified. The entrant will be asked to provide a second choice of categories. If the entrant does not wish to place the entry in another category, the entry and associated fees will be returned.
- The entry must come from a work that is completed and is in the erotic romance genre. The RWA definition for erotic romance is stories “in which strong, often explicit, sexual interaction is an inherent part of the love story, character growth and relationship development and could not be removed without damaging the storyline.” The story must also contain a Happily-Ever-After to be considered a romance.
- Failure to comply with the rules will result in disqualification.
- Decisions of the Contest Coordinator are final.
Contest Entry Fees
- Passionate Ink members: $15
- RWA Members: $20
- Others: $25
See the contest page for more information and entry guidelines: http://www.passionateink.org/sexy-scribbles-contest-details/
Want to join Passionate Ink? Benefits of membership and more information here: http://www.passionateink.org/join/